Below are the attendance codes used district-wide to track and report attendance to parents, the Pennsylvania Department of Education, and the court system.
"Lawful absences" are absences that occur for reasons permitted under state law and district policy. They are not lawful, however, until properly documented. This means that a note must be provided by a parent (limited to 10 days per year), a physician, or the building principal.
"Unlawful absences" occur for reasons other than those that are considered lawful. They also occur if an absence for any reason is not properly documented (a proper, signed note has not been provided). Tardiness is considered an "unlawful absence" though it is counts for a smaller percentage of absence than a half or whole day.
"Alternate location" is simply a tracking code. In most (but not all) cases, it means the student wasn't in the classroom to which they are normally assigned, but that they are in an approved place. Alternate location codes do not count towards total absences.
- Bereavement Lawful (LBRV): Death in the immediate family
- Court Lawful (LCRT): Required court attendance
- Exclusion (LEXC): Not permitted to attend school because of unmet requirements (physicals, immunizations, etc.)
- Family Emergency Lawful (LFME): Family emergency (unavoidable)
- Illness Lawful (LILL): Student was ill; note/excuse provided, signed by parent/guardian (limited to 10 per year)
- Medical Lawful (LMED): Student was ill, hospitalized, quarantined, recovering from an accident/surgery, medical/dental appointment; note/excuse provided, signed by physician/school nurse
- Out-of-School Suspension (LOSS): Out-of-School Suspension
- Impassable Roads Lawful (LROA): Impassable roads due to weather or road closures (determined by the assigned bus' ability to transport student)
- Trip Lawful (LTRP): Principal pre-approved family educational trip or other educational tour/trip
- Unlawful Absence (ULWF): Absence from school for any other reason (unless covered by a code below) OR no excuse provided
Alternate Location (Not absent from school)
- School-sponsored Activity (AACT): School field trip, activity, sport, club, lesson
- College Visit (ACOL): Visiting a college (High School only)
- Instruction in Home (AIIH): Homebound instruction
- In-school Suspension (AIIS): In-school suspension
- Late to Class (ALTC): Late to class without a pass (High School only)
- Message (AMSG): Message only
- Nurse's Office (ANUR): Being treated in the nurse's office
- Office (AOFC): At an alternative location at the behest of office/admin personnel
- Parent Pickup (APPU): Parent pickup after school (Elementary only)