Honors and Awards
High School Honor Roll
All students in grades 9-12 are eligible to achieve honor roll status in a particular quarter. They do so by meeting the following requirements with respect to grades earned in the quarter:
- Minimum Term GPA (without benefit of rounding)
- Honors: Term GPA of 88
- High Honors: Term GPA of 95
- None of the following individual course grades in major courses (all courses not defined as minor courses below):
- General course: below 83
- Academic course: below 82
- Accelerated course: below 81
- Advanced Placement (AP) course: below 80
- Pass/Fail course: F
- None of the following individual course grades in minor courses (defined as Health, Phys Ed, Career Choices, Concert Band/Marching Band, Orchestra, Show Choir, Choral Class, and Chorus):
- Below 75
- Pass/Fail course: F
- None of the following individual course grades in any course:
- "I" (Incomplete)...when the incomplete is replaced by a true grade, students can be added to the honor roll after the fact
- No more than one MEX (medical excuse), EX (excused), or NG (no grade) in total
- Mid-term and final exams are not included in honor roll calculations as they are not part of a quarter grade.
Middle School Honor Roll
Honor Roll in the North Pocono Middle School is for seventh and eighth grade students only. Honor Roll is based on grades for the current quarter only. The following requirements must be met:
- In major courses (defined as mathematics, science, English, reading, FLG and social studies):
- Each grade must be 84 or higher
- The average of all major courses must be 90.0% or better (without benefit of rounding)
- In all special courses, Art, Computers, Family Consumer Science, Health, Industrial Arts, Multicultural Literature & Writing, Music, and Physical Education :
- Each grade must be a 65 or above
- In all courses:
- No grade of incomplete (I)
Middle School Principal Award
The Middle School Principal's Award is an award given to students who have earned a grade of 94 and above in all quarters in all eligible courses. The determination is made using posted scores for quarters one, two, and three, and in-process scores for Q4 as of the date the building principal determines to select award winners.
The eligible courses include English, reading, math, science, and social studies.
Middle School Acceleration
When students enter 7th grade, qualified students have the option to enter an accelerated course track. While offering additional challenge for students, this track also opens space in the student's high school schedule to take higher levels of math and science than would be otherwise possible.
To be eligible for acceleration, students must display exceptional performance in all major sixth grade courses, including English, reading, math, science, and social studies. Fifth-grade PSSA performance is also considered, as the sixth-grade PSSA scores are not yet available when the schedule is developed.
Intermediate School Principal's Award
The Intermediate School Principal's Award is an award given to students in grades 4 and 5 who have earned a grade of 94 and above in quarters 1-3 in all eligible courses, including English, reading, math, science, and social studies.
Intermediate School Academic Achievement Award
The Intermediate School Academic Achievement Award is an award given to students in grades 4 and 5 who have earned an overall average of 94 and above through quarter 3 in eligible courses, including English, reading, math, science, and social studies.